Because I have to work light, I made the decision to shoot The Raftsmen journey using a DSLR–I need to keep my gear as mobile as possible. With this in mind, I set about making a shoulder-mounted rig based on plans provided by Film Riot, making certain adjustment suggested by the guys at BleepinJeep.com. It ended up costing me almost three times as much money as I thought it would, but it was still considerably cheaper than buying a prosumer shoulder mount.
However, with it all finished to spec, the rig was comically long. With a big, crowded event coming up, such a tail would prove impossible to use, so I made a few changes of my own, trimming about a foot off the length and dropping the back end. It requires a little more weight in the counterbalance, but more than makes up for it in its compact size.
Check out the video of the upgrade.